Saturday, February 21, 2015

Why You Should Go To The Temple....Now.

You know, as I started going back to church, I kept getting these urges and feelings to go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. I thought this was strange, because I hadn't been to the temple in 9 1/2 years....why now? And why so soon since I had returned to church? I disregarded these feelings for a few weeks, then talked to my missionaries and they urged me to listen to these feelings and to also talk to my bishop about it. I met with my bishop and we made a plan for me to get my temporary temple recommend. I was super excited.

Soon after that I met with my bishop again, and received my temporary temple recommend. I could go do baptisms! How exciting! I soon planned my first trip.

Being from Richfield, UT, the closest temple to me was the Manti Temple. I had only ever been there to do baptisms. My grandma Joann and Grandpa Mac would take me, and we would go with my great Uncle Larry and Aunt Marie to do this. What amazing times we had. It is about an hour or so to drive to Manti from where we lived, and we would all take my grandma's green van. I never realized how much I would cherish these times together.

Grandma Joann and Grandpa Mac
I am SO thankful that my grandmother extended the invitation for me to go with her to the temple. I didn't fully realize why I was going, or understand the significance of what I was doing there, but boy am I grateful beyond words for this. My grandpa wasn't LDS and a part of the church for a lot of my childhood. My grandma (as far as I can remember) was always a faithful church-goer. She was the organist for the ward and pianist for Relief Society, and was also a member of the ward choir. I would go with her, on and off. Eventually, in 2003, my grandpa made the decision do be baptized into the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints - the day after my birthday! What a birthday present.

It was soon after this that my grandma asked me to see if I could become temple worthy. Like I said before - man am I glad I made that decision when I did.

Growing up in Utah, I never realized just how many temples we have so close by. Growing up in South Central Utah, where the temple was accessible, with no great feat or saving up of money to get there, just a nice family drive, I have taken this great opportunity for granted. Reading about others' temple experiences and the feats that they had to go through to get there amazes me, and gives me a deeper appreciation for the blessing of having 14 in my state that I can attend, and some within only 15 minutes away.

I entered the Salt Lake Temple on January 13th, 2015 for the first time. The temple workers there were so wonderful, welcoming and happy. They welcomed me with open arms, and directed me where to go and exactly what one is supposed to do. I was so nervous! I felt so silly that I was 25 and didn't know the routine! That was never a thought that crossed their minds. The temple wasn't busy that day, so I was able to have a very personal and private experience in the baptismal font. It is something I will never forget.


The Salt Lake temple is very similar to the Manti temple, and being there immediately brought back memories of times when I would go with my grandma and grandpa to the the temple. I was the first grandchild that my grandma Mac baptized when we did baptisms for the dead. It was such a wonderful privilege and experience to have with him there, in the temple. One I will never forget, and am sure to cherish always.

I have set a goal to attend the temple monthly. So far, I have kept my goal, and sometime exceed it! What a wonderful feeling the temple brings me. I feel my grandma's spirit there. In the SLC temple, I am often times back in the Manti temple, with my grandma Mac and Uncle Larry. My grandma is nearby, watching, smiling. I am so proud to say I am her granddaughter. To say that I am my mother's daughter. I am proud of my family and my ancestors. I am proud of the work they did here on this earth, both here of the world and temporally. I am excited to raise my future family in this wonderful church,and to continue my family's legacy.

As I wrote about before, I am going to receive my endowment soon, and just got my temple recommend to do so. I am so happy! I am also nervous, scared, and sometimes doubtful of myself. Am I ready for this commitment? Am I ready for this level spiritually?? After talking with a ward member and good friend, he said something to me that brought instant comfort: "Bishop knows when you are ready. You may doubt yourself and wonder, but he knows when you are ready for something."
Wow!!
I am so lucky and blessed to have such supportive friends and ward members and leaders.

I realize I don't know much about what becoming endowed means. I decided to do as much preparation that I can to be ready for the day that I go.

You guys! We have such AMAZING resources!!!!!!!! The world is filled with such accessible knowledge!!!! The lds.org website is such an amazing site. It is here that I found more information about why LDS members build temples, what happens inside the temples, and the blessings of the temple.
----If you haven't been to a temple open house or have had the opportunity to attend the temple, click here to see what's inside and learn some more about the temple!!

This is what it means to receive an endowment:

Endowment

One ordinance we receive in the temple is the endowment. The word endowment means “gift” or “bestowal.” As part of this ordinance, we are taught about the purpose of life, the mission and Atonement of Jesus Christ, and Heavenly Father’s plan for His children. We gain a glimpse of what it will be like to live in His presence as we feel the peaceful atmosphere of the temple.

I know this isn't a novel. It's not even a page! But after reading this, I instantly felt much more knowledgeable. I instantly felt like: I am ready to receive this information! I can and will understand my purpose here on life much more. All my feelings of insecurity and unworthiness left.

I go to the temple for several reasons.
  • I go to feel closer to my Heavenly Father. 
  • I go to do temple work.
  • I go to remember my ancestors; to give them the opportunities to accept the blessings and ordinances of the church.
  •  I go to be with my grandma Joann.

Once again, I urge all of you to go to the temple. If you're unworthy to go, become worthy! You can do it. There are so many blessings there waiting for you!! Your Father loves you so much and wants to be with you! You are invited by so many to go to the temple. Do not be afraid to go alone. There are so many who are willing and waiting for you to ask them, and to go with you.

My love for this church, my Father in Heaven, and for all of you, my brothers and sisters, grows so much more each day. I learn so much from all of you. 

I'll see you at the temple. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment