Thursday, April 16, 2015

You Never Think It Will Happen To You

For the first time in my life (that I can remember), I had a very very close friend of mine tell me that I've changed since I've become active and started attending church meetings and church functions. It wasn't a good conversation.

I'm pretty upset about it, actually.

My friend confronted me, saying that I went from "zero to sixty" with church. She told me, "Because I'm not Mormon, does that mean I can't be your best friend anymore?"
That really hurt.

I have never in my life said that I have to have LDS/Mormon friends. EVER. I actually have more non member friends than I do member friends. I have always invited those to attend church with me, so that we can do things together, and that we can hang out.

We both got upset with each other, and there were tears and shouting.

I said, "Yeah, I go to the temple by myself and I go to church by myself  because there isn't anyone who wants/can go with me! I do it because it is something that is super important to me. I study the scriptures because I am making time for those things that are important to me!"

and apparently what she heard is, "You aren't important to me anymore."

I'm so hurt.

I hardly ever do any activities outside of Sunday church meetings (sorry about that ward, you guys are awesome I just have a crazy work schedule). Maybe twice a month. I do go to the temple when I can, especially now that I got my temple recommend back!! Even so, that's only maybe once or twice a month. So......how is it that this is my fault and I'm 'so changed'?

Previously this friend said that she did support me because it made me happy.
It doesn't seem like she does.

I am upset. I don't want to lose a friend, especially a friend of like 8 years. But I refuse to sacrifice my church attendance and temple attendace because of this.




I never thought I would have this type of conversation ever. I never thought that I could lose a friend because of the fact that I am a Mormon, and because I chose Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment